Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My connection to food.


In my Urban Garden class we were asked to describe our relationship/connection to food. Although my connection is much longer and fuller than what I wrote here, it had to be less than 400 words and this is what I came up with. 

My connection to food. 

I have lived on a 300-acre organic farm for the last nineteen years of my life.
The changing seasons have shaped me as much as they have the fruits.
I pray for rain, not because it makes me happy, but because I know it will make the plants grow.
I grew up surrounded by bounty, kindheartedness and sustenance.
I have studied the earth as much, if not more, than my textbooks.
I know what it means to live sustainably, to live naturally and to grow from the earth.
I am constantly craving strawberries, watermelon and cucumbers because I know how they are supposed to taste.
I know milk doesn’t come from a store, and believe it is my duty as an agrarian to inform others of that fact.
I am a farmer’s daughter, a future gardener and a current chef.
I love food and because of that, I know that I will always share a special connection to where it comes from. 
The earth is my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment